Thursday, February 15, 2007

Hangy Thingies


Last week was Lemme School's annual Carlos O' Kelly's night - a fundraiser for the Lemme PTA. This year they did something new and added a little craft fair to it. About 10 families participated including us! We had a very small amount of space to work with, so we brought an abreviated version of our set-up. Because I hadn't really been feeling too up to it, I pulled everything together at the last minute, which meant the night before Will was finally filled in on what we going to do. He was instantly excited and came up with the awesome idea to sell some of the wire and bead creations that he is so fond of making. He already had a stockpile made from previous crafting sessions (basically me just trying to keep him busy while I'm doing my artwork.) In the past he'd always commented that I could sell them at my shows if I wanted and I was always like, yeah right, and then would proceed to take apart the work he'd done as I needed the beads. But I thought this was the perfect opportunity to actually make good on his dreams! So the day of the sale, after school I set him to work making more wire and beads, we made a sign and came up with a price and a name. Will suggested several names for his creations including "Short Stuff" and the name we finally ended up choosing, "Hangy Thingies." He suggested we sell them for $2 a piece, but my vote of 25 cents won out. We made a sign that said, "Hangie Thingies! Hang on your backpack, coat, or in a window. Made by 1st grader Will Brown. Only 25 cents!" I made sure to prominantly display his bowl of "Hangie Thingies" right on my money cart where everyone who walked by would be sure to see our sign. He was such a good salesman! He'd explain to all of his classmates who came along what he was selling. They were all pretty excited and the moms thought he was cute and he ended up selling 24 of his Hangy Thingies! Half of his sales went to Lemme and he got to keep the other half! I'm a little concerned that I've created a monster. I'm betting that he's going to want to sell them at all my shows, but I'm not sure he's going to have quite the enthusiastic response from the general public as he did from his classmates and their parents. And I'm not sure I need the competition! (jk!) As you can see from the picture, they are so random, it's hilarious! Some are really long, some are tiny. No two are alike, that's for sure!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

does he take orders over the internet? I would like to place an order, please.

THE BROWN BOYS said...

do you mean that? -Will

Anonymous said...

I DO mean that!!! I was thinking about ordering maybe 5? How much would that be, please? -Laura

THE BROWN BOYS said...

that would be $1.25 please. wut day would you llike me to giv them to you? -Will

Anonymous said...

Can I get them at church on Sunday? I will be there with my $1.25. You can decide which ones I would like best. I can't wait! I think I will hang them at my kitchen window where the light will shine through them. It was a pleasure doing business with you, sir. - Laura

THE BROWN BOYS said...

thake you. -Will

Anonymous said...

Hi, Will! I have to have some Hangy Thingies!! I am going to mail you a dollar for 4 Hangy Thingies and an envelope to send them back to me. Just think, now you can tell people that you have customers all over the STATE.

Anonymous said...

p.s. those things are BEAUTIFUL.

Anonymous said...

OK, correction!!!!
This proud grandma is the one who set the hangy thingies out front where upon the customers started swarming around them, thank you!
Uhhhh....orders over the internet? Jill, you and I have talked about this for a long time and look who is taking off!?! WOW!

THE BROWN BOYS said...

Carrie - thank you. I am glad that a lot of people want to buy these. -Will