Saturday, January 06, 2007

Mouse Hunt

Last night at 1:30 am, we had a mouse in our bedroom! It was the scariest thing ever. I would dare say this rivals seeing an oppossum in front of your apartment, because this critter is right there in your BEDROOM - where you SLEEP! After the second time of wondering if I was seeing something scurrying back and forth between our bed and the closet out of the corner of my eye, I woke up Damon. We knew there probably was something there and it wasn't my imagination, because two nights earlier we'd lain awake listening to something scurring in the walls. He got an old shoe and a small trash can and stuffed clothes under the cracks in our doors so it couldn't escape our room. We knew it was in our closet, but it was an agonizing game of hide and seek since there's so much stuff in our closet. Damon painstakingly pulled out dirty clothes from the floor of our closet, one at a time, shaking them to see if the mouse was in them, while I huddled on the bed. Once one side of the closet floor was empty, he started in on the other side, where all of my shoes are piled together. Halfway through taking one shoe out at a time, the mouse jumped out and the chase was on! Damon jumped so high that the shoe that he was using as a weapon flew out of his hand and he tried to catch it by the strings, so the shoe was flailing around, while I sat on the bed and screamed and laughed and bit into my knuckles to keep from screaming and waking up the boys! The mouse went further back into the shoe pile, so more shoes were taken out until only a few were left. We knew the mouse had to be cornered. So Damon very bravely began poking the pile with his weapon shoe which would send the mouse scurring around the inside of the closet, over to the empty side where the doors were shut. I could hear lots of bang, bang, bangs, as Damon attempted to hit it with his shoe, but that mouse was so fast, it would end up back in the shoe pile! A few times the chase sent the mouse out into our bedroom, where it had lots of hiding places from all the stuff Damon had brought out of our closet. Finally, after chasing it around the bedroom floor, he whacked the mouse a good one, and then he just left the shoe on top of the mouse and pressed down repeatedly with all of his weight! It was one flat and dead mouse! All you could see was its little tail sticking out from under the shoe! SO GROSS!!!!!!! I was so glad it was dead, I didn't even mind cleaning up the blood stains on the carpet! Damon scooped it up in the trash can and took it down to the garage trash. We laid in bed afterwards giggling and replaying moments, and agreed that we both have the image of that nasty tail sticking out from underneath Damon's shoe etched into our minds forever. We had so much adrenaline running through our systems and we were so freaked out, that we couldn't get back to sleep for the longest time. Questions are still running through my brain: Can mice climb up beds? Are there more? How did it get in? How did it get all the way to our bedroom? We are going to be investing in some traps or poision or something today. Even now as I'm typing this I can't put my feet on the floor, because who knows what's under the desk?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh!! That is soooo nasty. Here are my answers to your questions: #1 Yes! #2 probably #3 you will never know #4 two words, "body heat"

*and let me caution you against the poison--because then they just die somewhere and stink up your house! seriously nasty unbelievable smell

Q-what's worse than a live mouse in your closet?
A-a rotting one in the wall!

Damon is so brave! Mouse flattener extrordinaire!

Anonymous said...

I have the images stuck in my head and I wasn't even there. After telling Jack the story, he asks,"Was it flat like a pancake?" Boys need to know these things, I guess.

Meghan said...

Jill- That is SO NASTY! It brings back so many memories of Em, Linds and I in the big house trying to kill the mouse that was in the kitchen cupboard.

**By the way, my grandma alwyas says where there is one, there's two. The apparently travel in pairs.
Also I agree about the poison thing, plus if they eat it they walk around a day or two really crazy...people have said they aren't afraid of you...they are nutty because they are so intoxicated...they they finally die off. Just go for the SNAP! It's so nice to see it and know you have a dead mouse.
UGH...I get the chills thinking about this!