Friday, May 23, 2008

It's Grrrrrrrreat to be a Lemme Leopard!

Today was the culmination of a school year worth of character building. It was Lemme's Character Counts celebration. All year long they've been "spotting" the school with Lemme Leopard spots. Whenever a child was "spotted" displaying a character trait:


Trustworthiness
Respect
Responsibility
Fairness
Caring
Citizenship


They were given a black or gold paper spot with their name and the character trait written on it, to hang in the halls of the school. The goal was to fill the school with spots. Today was the day they celebrated all their hard work and caring attitudes by having a parade and picnic lunch. Even though the weather did not cooperate, the show went on! They started by gathering in the back of the school to recite the Lemme pledge:



The Heart of a Lemme Leopard
I am important
I am a winner
I am respectful to others
I know that everyone is a little different and that's okay
I will do my part to make sure that everyone has a safe and happy day
I will make the choice to do right
I will make a difference in the world
I am a Lemme Leopard!

Go Lemme Leopards!



At the time I shot this video, I didn't know where Will was in the crowd. Later I realized he was about in the middle, with a white long sleeve shirt on, next to a girl in yellow. He has his back to us in the video, so you might not be able to pick him out.

I had no idea that the parade would be as elaborate as it was. They marched around the outside of the school, up the front walk, and down the street a block, then turned around and came back the same way they came. The parade was grand marshalled by beloved teacher Mr. Williams who is retiring this year. He rode in the golf cart. Then there was the mascot - someone's dog dressed in a Lemme shirt. A teacher jazz band started them off and a small portion of the City High marching band brought up the rear. Different grades made banners, posters and signs and decorated themselves with hats, spray painted hair, spots and funny costumes.

There were noisemakers, a juggler and both the City High boys' and girls' basketball teams made appearances with their state champion trophies!

Some classes had their own chants and songs that they made it up. I heard things like "Who let the Leopards out?! Mr. Ba-con!" "We are the Leopards! The mighty, mighty Leopards!" and "We are the soggy Leopards!" Mr. Bacon made announcements on his bullhorn as each group went by. It was quite exciting! The school pride and ownership is unbelievable. I must admit the whole thing made me teary eyed and a lump in my throat. I feel so blessed and proud that our family can be a part of this school where our children are so obviously valued and loved.

Will's grade each made their own butterfly on a stick and picked a character trait to write on its body. Will's says "responsibility." I think the reason they chose butterflies is because they are doing their butterfly unit right now in Science class where they raise caterpillars to butterflies - Painted Ladies.



I started to announce Lemme's very own best secretary ever, my aunt, at the end there (don't you love the leopard reading glasses?!) But she was a woman on a mission and didn't have time for my silliness. That's what happens when you become a VILP - (Very Important Lemme Person) you don't have time for us little people any more. Just kidding, she always makes time for us. And, Oh my, but doesn't that bring back memories of my own band days!

After the parade, everyone headed inside to enjoy an indoor picnic. Families and kids were allowed to spread out in the classrooms, library, or gym. We decided not to bring a lunch, which was very confusing to Sam, but I couldn't see wrestling a baby and trying to eat, and instead sat with Will and his friends while they ate their lunch. It was so much fun!

1 comments:

Laura said...

That is SO cool. It almost makes me want to be a leopard. I really do like being a Weber Dolphin though too.