Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Hair Scare

A child in my household, who wishes to remain anonymous, came up to me today with the opening line, "I'm really, really sorry." Nothing good ever comes from a conversation that starts out that way. He decided to take scissors to his hair today. Why, you ask? That's a very good question. The answer I got, and which I'm finding quite hard to believe, is because he wanted to save me money on a haircut. He does know the way to my heart is a good bargain. Well, he's saving me money alright. His father decided that he can either live with the hair, or pay for a haircut out of his own money. So I guess I might end up coming a'head' on the whole deal. (Get it?! a'head'?! Ah, I crack myself up. If only I felt like laughing. I'm still a little too P.O.'ed to laugh yet.)

His brother claims that he tried to give him a haircut too, "and it really hurt," but upon a thorough scalp inspection, I could not detect any missing follicles. So I'm not sure what that was all about. I suspect that an attempt was made, and his brother made a hasty escape and a few hairs got pulled.

It will be interesting to see what other people have to say about the chunky hairstyle. In my mind this is going to be the sweet part of natural consequences. I've already alluded to the fact that he may want to think about what he's going to say when kids come up to him and are like, "DUDE! What happened to your hair?!" This prompted my John Doe child to wear a baseball cap to AWANAs tonight. But he can't hide forever! Prayer time and the Pledge of Allegiance will catch up with him eventually! I'm kind of hoping that his teachers tomorrow have a 'no hat' rule in their classroom.

I promised I would only take a close-up of the hair and not photograph the face of this nameless child so that he can live out his days in anonymity. It's not my fault if you happen to guess who it is on your own.

Oops! How did that last picture get in there?! Pay no mind to the boy covering his head. Uh, he just has an itch...yeah...that's it...an itch.


3 comments:

emily said...

wow...that's all I have to say! I think maybe the face on the blog could be consequence enough!! I knew right away as soon as I saw that little hairline exactly who it was!! He may end up with a "Noah" haircut in the end!

Shelly said...

Wan't the 'Noah' haircut all the rage last fall?
This may turn out in his favor afterall.
But I'm with you... a little suffering through a consequence never hurt anyone (that I know of anyway).
If it's any consolation, I think 1/3 of all kids ages 4-9 cut their hair once.
You should take a poll.

Anonymous said...

stinker.