Monday, April 07, 2008

You're Not Going to Believe My New Dishes!

So I know that the grandparents out there may think I'm crazy, but take a look at my new Anchor Hocking ironstone plates in Honey Gold - very retro:
They would have matched the 70's and 80's gold and avacodo appliances that they once had. Yeah, yeah, yeah . . . what goes around comes around. There's nothing new under the sun, and all that. I don't want to hear about how you had the exact same set 20 years ago. These little brown mugs might be a bit much though: The mugs remind me of all the trips to Country Kitchen that we made growing up or the little crocks that they serve baked beans in at Steak n' Shake. I might have to get something different for mugs - still mulling that one over. The incredible part of all of this (besides the cool design) is that I got 8 place settings (dinner plate, salad plate, soup bowl, mug and saucer -what will I ever do with 8 saucers?!) all for $7.50, in the original boxes. I don't think they've ever been used, although they did smell smokey. One good run through the dishwasher took care of that. They are dishwasher and microwave safe. I thought I was getting a good deal when I saw that each box of 4 was $15. $30 for a set of 8? Still way cheaper than new. Then I realized that they were tagged with the day's half-priced color! $15? Even better! I get up to the counter and the lady charged me $7.50. Thinking she didn't see the other box, I pointed out I had another one. She told me that the stickers read 2 boxes for $15! Then at half-price, it only came to $7.50! All that to say that I got a darn good deal. And I love a good deal. All of you that know me know how I LO-OVE a good deal. Everytime I eat off my new plates I think about what a bargain I got. And it pleases me. It pleases me greatly. I think to myself that I've accomplished something great - feeding my family off of $7.50 worth of dinnerware. And then I sigh and ask myself, what does it say about my life that cheap dishes have me all in a frenzy? And then I put my new dishes in the dishwasher. Then I go about my day.

5 comments:

Laura said...

It's been bugging me what those mugs remind me of...it's Mel's Diner...you know from 'Alice'? Kiss my grits?? You did fail to mention that I was, in fact, the one to point those out on the shelf first. Ahem. I want my 3 seconds of fame.

Connie said...

You asked what that says about you and I think what it says about you is that you are your mother's daughter. So sorry!!!

Shelly said...

Okay Jill... you are truly amazing at bargain deals (oh, and you too, Laura). By the way, 20 years ago was 1988. I think those dishes pre-date that era by at least another 10-15 years. Mom? Don't you think so too?

kristin said...

that's hilarious. I didn't catch the location of this amazing purchase. you crack me up. the mugs are a little over the top. I do like the "thick lip" that those brown mugs often lend a person though.....fun to drink out of.

THE BROWN BOYS said...

Shelly- I think you're probably right. I'm not too good at math, plus I'm in denial about how old I'm getting. Kristin - I got them at Houseworks - the household consignment store. Laura - I hereby acknowledge and give you full credit for being the finder of this fabulous deal.