Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Where's Your Camera When You Need It?!

The answer is, Tokyo.

There have been so many times this week that I wished I had my camera. One of them was tonight. After putting Sam to bed, I came out into the living room, to find Will sitting in the dark on the couch with Max on his lap. He'd wrapped him in his special blanky and was singing "Jesus Loves Me" to him! Max was just laying there, looking at him. I have been so appreciative of Will this week. He's been a great helper to me. He picks Max up when he cries or gets hurt, (he's almost embarassingly more compassionate about that than I am!) He's helped prepare food, gotten himself ready for bed, and Sam too when he'll allow it. He's seen a need and pitched in without me telling him to on several occasions! He suddenly seems much older to me. I only wish that he would mature enough to stop all the picking and fighting that he does with Sam. That's just as bad as ever.

While I was getting Max fed for bed, Sam got out of bed to complain how unfair it is that Will gets to stay up later. Since I couldn't stop what I was doing, I asked Will if he'd help Sam get back under his covers. I figured it was worth a shot! As they were going down the hallway I heard this:
Sam: I wish it was sunny all the time. (He meant even at night.)
Will: Yeah, it has been gloomy lately. (What eight year old boy uses the word "gloomy?!")

As I was laying Max down, I could hear Will still in their room and he was praying with Sam! Sam was certainly bathed in prayer tonight. He got his usual prayers from me, then he got a special "God, give Sam good dreams" prayer from me when he came out scared. He got a third helping from Will as he got back into bed. I only wished I could have heard what they were saying. As I got back to the doorway to eavesdrop, they were done. After getting Sam into bed, Will and I had this conversation:

Will: Mom, I think I know how you feel now, about taking care of people.

Me: Oh? How's that?

Will: Well I got Sam into bed, and then he wanted a drink of water so I got him a drink of water. Then he wanted the fan on, so I turned the fan on. Then he wanted me to pray with him so I prayed with him. (He just kind of shook his head, like he was all exasperated. What gets me is that these are some of the EXACT tricks he pulls on me!)

Me: So how did that make you feel, doing all that?

Will: Taking care of people is hard work.

Me: Yep.

So, I'll be glad to have my camera back. It's in Tokyo right now. Hopefully getting used well! Other times I wish I'd had my camera: Max has learned to spin himself in circles, which he keeps doing until he falls down and just lies there, watching his world spin. He also has learned to shake his head "no" and I think he might actually might be doing it at appropriate times too!

1 comments:

emily said...

such a sweet boy!! Such a good helper!