Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Post for Gretchen's Benefit

Once again, I've been heckled for what I post and don't post on my blog! So this blog is to humor my cousin Gretchen - a big fan of American Idol.

I must admit I haven't been a regular watcher of Americal Idol. I started out watching the beginning episodes - you know the ones where they show you all the wanna be's who are way out there. Then I saw some of the middle episodes, but recently I haven't seen it. All I knew was that I liked Melinda Doolittle because she seemed so genuine. She took songs that we'd all heard of and made them totally her own. I loved her voice. I guess she made it to the final 3, and was then voted off. I tried to watch the season finale last night, but missed the very ending where they announced the winner! (I was putting kids to bed.) Evidently Jordan won. I didn't have a big opinion about either her or Blake, because I didn't think either of them were that great. I did however get to hear Blake's famous beat box thing he does, and I must admit that although that rap stuff he does (I sound so old!) is not my thing, he does have an unusual and amazing talent. However, I think you can be talented at doing that, and still not be a super amazing singer. I didn't hear him actually sing enough to really know. Like all of these competition shows, it sometimes comes down to your popularity with the public, not necessarily on strictly who's the most talented. (Case in point: Emmit Smith beating out the superior dancer Mario Lopez in last season's Dancing with the Stars. Why does everthing always come back to DwtS??!!)

I thought it was fun to see all the AI contestants singing with other guest star singers. I could have done without the "tribute" to Sanjaya - who cannot sing worth a darn, and should have gone home long before he did. I think they only featured him to make fun of him, don't you all?! And of course I just knew that poor little girl would be in the audience - the one who cried everytime he sang. The poor thing needs to find someone else to Idolize! (I must admit I had a sudden flashback to my days of obsessing over Joey McIntire from New Kids on the Block.) You will all be proud to know that I've matured enough that when I watched Joey on the first season of Dancing with Stars I shed not a single tear. See? It all comes back to DwtS!

As for the trophies they handed out to all the odd ducks from the try outs who didn't make the cut - I thought that was just cruel. I felt sorry for them! It was like they were being made fun of, but did they even know it?!

Overall, my assessment of the AI finale is that here again is another example of dragging out the season finale waaaaaay too long, when all anyone really wants to know is "who won??!!" That's tv for ya - dramatic and addictive.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me start by thanking my cousin Jill for her hard work on this blog! Nice work! It has been forever since NKOTB!!! (for those who were never obsessed...New Kids On The Block) They totally rocked the house! I had about a million posters...I could never decide...Joey, or Jordan! In the end Jordan won out. Joey was just so young! As far as the past contestants coming on and getting awards...I was disappointed in AI for even going there. Is there no line to be drawn? Anyway I can't wait for Blake's album to come out cause you know he's getting a label with somebody...there's no school like the old school. Bring on the beat box baby!

emily said...

I have to confess that I have seen maybe 2 episodes of AI. I'm surprised that I didn't get addicted. The one channel that I get happens to be fox, so I could have easily gotten addicted. Anyway..I'm mainly commenting to comment about NKOTB. I thought I was going to marry Joey at one point. I will forever remember the time we went to their concert at Carver Hawkeye Arena and their tour bus drove by and Joey stuck his head out the window and waved at me...yes... at ME! I'm sure he was waving at me, because we were going to get married. Well, that threw me into an uncontrolable cry...more like sob...into my mom's chest and I hid my face and wouldn't come out. I also had lots of posters...but also t-shirts...pins...a hat...sheets...comforter...the Joey "barbie" doll...I'm sure a bunch of other random junk...ummm I think I've said too much.

Anonymous said...

Jill you are as obsessed with DwtS as Gretchen is with AI! You both need to get out a little more. Everyone knows that the BEST reality show on television is still Survivor!! They started it all and Jeff Probst is the bomb. "The tribe has spoken"

THE BROWN BOYS said...

For some reason I've never gotten into Survivor. I think I have a phobia against CBS. All of the shows I seem to like are on ABC. However, I have in the past gotten into the earlier seasons of The Amazing Race. Is that still around anymore?

THE BROWN BOYS said...

My other confession as far as reality tv goes is that I loved America's Top Design on Bravo. The contestants were interior decorators who had to create a specific type of room from scratch with the given parameters: time, money, client's specifications etc.
Now in it's place is a show called Shear Genius, where hairdressers are competing for the top prize. You can imagine how over the top that could be, when you get all those flamboyant egos butting heads! Sometimes they have to do "red-carpet hair" or "bride hair". One week they even had to do a whole head of hair using one unconventional cutting intstrument: everything form huge garden shears, to a box cutter, to child saftey scissors.
I think I've confessed enough for one day.