Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Field Trip



We took Sam to Wilson's Apple Orchard last week with his preschool class. It was a windy cloudy day, but we had a picnic lunch and intended to pick some apples only to discover once we arrived that the orchards were empty! Something about a frost that prevented the trees from giving much fruit this year. The orchard had been importing apples from other orchards and all those apples were gone as well. It was a bummer since Sam and I have been on a real apple kick. So I ended up going to Hy-Vee for my 2nd bag of Honey Crisps this season - and payed way too much: over $13 for a tote bag of 10-15 apples! It's worth it...I guess... especially since I've even gotten Will to have a few slices (with lots of caramel dip and the skin peeled off of course.)

4 comments:

kristin said...

I guess I won't feel too guilty for missing the orchard preschool shindig. I'm feelin' the honey crisp expense. Just bought some yesterday at the HyV. Boy...are they great though???

ty said...

we, too, were bummed to hear about the apple tragedy this year. we're especially sad to have missed our chance at one of those famous apple turnovers! every year, jenn and i go and get a couple each (and eat them ALL right there on the spot!). i'm sure the orchard is still very beautiful - it's just that the warm, sugary sweetness is what motivates us to actually get out there.

honeycrisps are #1! i guess it's the whole supply and demand thing working against us. ('cause i certainly demand them) :)

Anonymous said...

I found some Honey crisp at the Watergate HV. They are so huge that one apple like fed all of us. I justified it that way.

Shelly said...

We'd never had Honey Crisps, so Dillon & I picked up a few at the HEB grocery store last night. He ate all of them. He declares they are his new favorite variety. Thanks for the heads up on Honey Crisps!