Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Birthday Boys

Just in case you were under the false impression that we were done celebrating birthdays, here's proof that we've only really just reached the halfway mark. Last night we celebrated both Sam and Will's birthdays with the extended family. Will has lots more celebrating to do as his actual birthday gets closer (Nov 3). I made the world's ugliest looking cake. I don't know quite what I was thinking. Well, yes I do. I had bought strawberry mist frosting because it sounded good to me, but then once home, realized that it was going to look like a pink girly cake. So to combat the pinkness, I sprinkled black, purple, green and orange Halloween sprinkles on it, thinking that would "man" it up. That didn't really work. Then when you add in the clashing (not to mention awful tasting) candy letters what you end up with is one ugly looking cake. Oh, well. It tasted good.

Damon's comment about the walking sticks that the Berend grandparents got for the boys was this: "6 ft long walking sticks?! REALLY??!! What were they thinking?! Don't they know they're just going to end up in the garage?!" And I was like, "Well, yeah! I'm sure that's where the McCarragher boys are too!" You only need to touch them when you're actually going on a hike, and maybe then you only take one boy at a time, otherwise they're just weapons. Can you imagine Grandpa Don taking all 4 boys, each with their own walking stick on a hike?! (Watch him take up the challenge and prove me wrong! Which, by the way, you can do at 7:00 Saturday night, 'cause that's when the movie starts. You don't mind hiking in the dark, do you?! Just kidding!) Love ya, Mom and Don! Sam got pirate costume stuff from the McCarragher's, including this molting parrot that Sam named Garby. He also got a stars wars flying ship thing, I don't know what it's called, from the Brown grandparents.

Will got the Simon Remix electronic game from McC's and a really cool erector set from the Brown's. He's already started putting it together, and although it looks way complicated to me, I'm sure he'll get it figured out, 'cause he always does! (Takes after his Dad, that way!)


5 comments:

Kathy said...

Man up a cake! I love it!

It wouldn't surprise me if Don would take all 4 boys on a hike with walking sticks! That totally sounds like him ;)

Anonymous said...

Man, that was one. ugly. cake. But it was goo-oood. (in cousin Eddie dialect.)

7:00 works for me....

I'll have you know my husband is busted in that one picture sleeping. That is just unacceptable.

BTW..you can shorten those walking sticks, dummy! That way your 4 year isn't walking around with a 6 foot pole.

I still like the idea of using those poles to run down the hall and vault into the bunkbed. If you decide to do that...take a picture.

Anonymous said...

You are all crazy, shorten those sticks and make light sabres out of them, and by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY WILL AND SAM.
Uncle Scott

Shelly said...

Of course the parties are not over... Will & Sam haven't gotten their presents from Aunt Shelly & Uncle Scott yet! I will see you this weekend with packages-in-hand from Texas. Love you all & see you soon!

Sam: Love the orange mustache, you look just like your dad when he was a boy!

emily said...

Laura--Click on the picture with Joe in it...he's not sleeping, but has a GREAT expression on his face regarding the walking stick birthday presents.
That cake is pretty ugly!! The boys will laugh about that when they are older looking back on those pictures!!!