Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Poor Baby


I just overheard Sam sitting on the stairs praying. He said, "God, help Max feel better from his shots. Amen." So I had to go give him a big hug. We talked about how neat it is that God is with you always and that you can pray anytime you want.
Sam: When God gets out of my head, I'm going to see him.
me: ok
(pause...)
Sam: (looking around) God? Are you there?
me: sometimes it's a feeling you have in your heart.
Sam: Now you pray and I'll be God.
me: ( thinking, should we be doing this?) Ok. God?
Sam: Yes....
me: Help Max to feel better. He got his shots today and he has ouchies on his legs. Amen.
Sam: Ok. Bye.

Max went to the doctor for his 2 month check up today. The poor baby was all happy laying on the changing table, smiling and cooing, and then BAM! : 3 shots in the legs! He's all tylenoled up and sleeping it off now. The interesting thing about his growth is that when we went in 2 weeks ago he was in the 25th percentile for his weight and 45th for his height. In the past two weeks I've gradually switched him over from nursing to soy formula and he is now in the 45th percentile for weight, and the 75th percentile for length! We had still been having issues with gassiness, fussiness, spit-up-iness, plus not being sure that he was even getting enough breast milk to satisfy. We were having these issues despite trying two different kinds of medicine (Zantac and Prevacid), and eliminating dairy from my diet, so I decided to try formula as a last resort. He seems to be doing a bit better fussiness wise, and is obviously growing better! I think he can just keep it down a bit better - plus there's more of it than he was getting from me. It makes me feel less guilty for stopping nursing, to know that he's growing so much better. I am starting to get used to the stinky soy smell, and Max is trying to get used to all the effort it takes to do his job in his pants. Other than that, we're good.

5 comments:

emily said...

oh, I love him!! Both of them...Sam for having such a sweet sweet heart!! And for Max...for being such a tough guy to get all those shots!! poor baby! Did they do the sugar on the puggie trick?! I bet he was very upset. :(

Kathy said...

Poor little guy, poor momma. It's hard on you, too I know.

I am glad the formula seems to be helping WOW he is really growing! I hope things continue to go better.

You have very tender hearted boys, priceless!

Anonymous said...

He looked so much older yesterday! I'm totally not just saying that. When I was changing his diaper, Sam told me I needed to be really careful with his legs. Looking out for his bro'. Have you been having your big bedtime glass of milk? Drink up!

emily said...

Um..the first time I read this post, there wasn't a picture...now there is! I LOVE it!! those are very nice legs, but it's still very sad!

Connie said...

Oh, good I'm really not confused after all, Em was right - you added the photo of the thighs. YES, they are wonderful thighs - how could they stick a needle in them? ohhhhhhh.