Sunday, November 12, 2006

Tonsil Update


Just like my sister Emily, I will take a picture of anything and everything! This picture sums up our awful Saturday morning. Sam woke up throwing up and kept it up for the next 3 hours, every 15-30 minutes. The poor kid didn't have any Tylenol in his system, so it was obvious that it really hurt to throw up. He just held his hands over his ears, and cried and puked, and he was so hot and in so much pain, that I was crying too. It was awful. We called the doctor, and we were almost to the point of bringing him into the ER when he fell asleep. When he woke up an hour and a half later, he was ready to drink and he kept his Tylenol down! He got better throughout the afternoon, even wanting to go outside and play (because the neighbor kid came to the door for Will.) Of course he didn't get to go. He even had alphabet soup for dinner! He kept telling Damon he was missing certain letters because earlier we'd watched a classic Sesame Street skit where Grover is the waiter and a muppet guy goes through the whole alphabet, expecting each letter to be in his soup, and Grover gets more and more frustrated. I realized that everything else we'd been trying to give him was sweet, so I think he appreciated something salty. He even had more soup for a bedtime snack - which he picked over ice cream, pudding, popsicles etc! He wanted soup for breakfast Sunday morning, but I convinced him to have a pancake and banana and save the soup for lunch. So I'll be stocking up on all shapes and forms of noodle soup over the next weeks! He was up several times during the first few nights, and it was a challenge to get him to take his Tylenol, because he decided he was just tired of the whole business. The only thing that really worked was when I used Will to my advantage. I made Will pretend to want to eat Sam's medicine, and then Sam suddenly wanted to take it! Will of course thought this was great fun, and I'm not above using this form of manipulation! So Saturday afternoon and Sunday he hasn't seemed to need any pain medicine, (so we're not even going there) and he's eating and drinking and playing, and resting! Hopefully we'll start having some more restful nights soon.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam, I feel your pain. Everytime they put me to sleep I puke for days. Hope you keep down you're soup. My favorite is Campbell's Double Noodle in chicken broth!