Monday, December 18, 2006

Santa Obsession


Sam is OBSESSED with everything about Santa. Out of the blue he'll say, "I love Santa." or "I miss Santa." He's always asking me, "Is it Christmas time yet?" We were a bit surprised that he knows so much about Santa, and is so sure he's right, because we never did the whole Santa thing with Will. (Will is very good about keeping this info to himself. He'll just make cryptic comments like, "I know the true meaning of Christmas.") Everything that Sam's picked up has been from TV and books and such. We went to the mall the other day and Sam waved at the mall Santa and Santa said hi back. As we were walking away I told Sam (and I know some of you out there will think I'm mean and cruel!) "You know, Santa is just pretend. It's fun to pretend." He said, "No he's not, he said hi to me!" and I said, "Yeah, but he's just a man in a costume pretending to be Santa." He didn't buy that either. Other times Sam has said, "I'm sad, Santa not bring me any presents." So I said, "How about if mommy and daddy give you presents instead?" And he said, "No, I want Santa to bring me presents." One night when my mom was watching the boys, he wrapped up his leftover cheese bread in a napkin and told his grandma that he was saving it for Santa. We are all about celebrating Jesus' birthday, and Sam seems to get that too, so I guess for this year we'll let him take the lead on Santa - there doesn't appear to be any convincing him otherwise!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think our (my) problem is that we grew up with Santa without the Jesus and now there's a 'Santa backlash'. Santa never hurt anyone!Maybe there's room for both???Maybe this year anyway??? He's just so cute. Sam, I mean. Well, Santa kind of is, too.

Anonymous said...

I think our (my) problem is that we grew up with Santa without the Jesus and now there's a 'Santa backlash'. Santa never hurt anyone!Maybe there's room for both???Maybe this year anyway??? He's just so cute. Sam, I mean. Well, Santa kind of is, too.. Well, Santa kind of is, too.

Anonymous said...

why does that happen?? What am I doing? Help!!

Anonymous said...

You are right on the $. 1 present from Santa will not hurt Sam. I mean I grew up with Santa and Jesus and just look how I turned out!! Ok, maybe that was a bad example....anyway, Sam will love Jesus best when he's older.

"Santa backlash" was awesome Laura! We have that MAJOR in our church. Now I have a name for it.

Anonymous said...

I want to make it clear that I have been just`as guilty as the next person of santa`backlash. I dont want to sound like a hypocrite! I think if I could go back to when Jack was a baby I would still let the truth be known about Santa, but have more fun with it?? Does that make sense?

THE BROWN BOYS said...

I agree- we're just going to have fun with it! We'll probably be playing it up with Sam more than we did with Will.

emily said...

My friend Denise calls it the "Santa Game" It's a game.

Anonymous said...

SANTA WILL RULE FOREVER!! Ok, didn't I just say that about Jello Jigglers? I believe I did! But seriously...Santa backlash was the bomb! That's a perfect name for what so many do. Yes there is totally room for both. Here's what can happen when you totally nix Santa...EVERYONE EVERYWHERE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD WILL SAY TO YOUR CHILD..."So is Santa coming to your house this year?" or "So what did Santa bring you?" or some other similar phrase! It's so annoying but they really don't mean any harm it's just that Santa's universal! So, I say have some fun with it! Think of all the funny memories you'll have. Jack will be all,"Yeah, when I was little there was 'noooo Santa'...then my little sister comes along and, suddenly SANATA'S COMIN TO TOWN!" He'll be all semi-bitter...it'll be histerical!
I say go for it! Have some Santa fun!

Anonymous said...

Remember that scene in A Christmas Story where Ralphie comes home all blind and yells,"It was SOAP poisoning!" That will be Jack, "There was NOOOOOO SANTA!" and Joe and Laura will scream and cry in remorse. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Best mother in the world, right here. (said VERY sarcastically)