Thursday, July 12, 2007

Creepy

The other night Will came back inside as I was going out to meet him, just after I'd sent him and Sam out to play, saying, "It's creepy (a word I've never heard him use) out there. I'm coming inside."

Me: What? I was just coming out; what do you mean it's creepy out there?
Will: It feels like someone butcept (he meant 'besides') God is watching me.
Me: Well, if it's as creepy as you say it is out there, then don't leave your brother out there alone! (way to not play into his irrational fear, Jill)
Will: thinking for a minute, "Oh...okaay! (all exasperated.)

We go outside and I look around. Sam is totally not feeling the creepy feeling. I think to myself, what if there really is some creepy guy out here, watching my children? We've never felt anything but total security and safety in our neighborhood. There's very little traffic, and most of it are the neighbors we know. Everyone knows, or at least recognizes each other. I feel comfortable letting Will be outside by himself, and Sam too for short amounts of time, with me checking up, when he's with his brother. The wind was blowing a bit more than normal, it was getting on toward dusk, it was very quiet, no one else was outside, (usually there's kids, mowers, walkers, bikers, birds, something) so maybe that's what he was feeling and explained that to Will. To tell you the truth, it gave me the creeps too! We all seemed to shake it off and went back to playing.

1 comments:

Connie said...

I can recall having a creepy feeling like that in my younger days. No real explanation for it, maybe just something in the atmosphere?! And unable to name it.