Sunday, July 29, 2007

Memories...Of the Way we Were

We've been taking some nostalgic strolls down memory lane lately. In preparation for baby's arrival, we've been doing a lot of sorting and getting rid of stuff. (Once we started in with the painting and organizing, one thing led to another, and there was no stopping.) On Friday we found ourselves surrounded by boxes since Damon decided to take everything out from the closet underneath the stairs. He took the afternoon off just to deal with the massive undertaking. We knew that deep within there were some baby things that we needed to sort through. Even though baby items were our main objective, we found ourselves sorting through almost every box because we were in purging mode. We knew that we HAD to get rid of stuff to make way for the baby stuff that we were bringing home from the McCarragher house. You can not imagine the crap that we have hung on to! Once upon a time it was very important stuff, but now looking at it MANY, MANY years later, I wondered why I had ever hung on to it. In order to make myself feel a little bit better about throwing away (or goodwilling) items that once meant so much, I took some pictures:

An ice cream cone pillow my mom made for my bed when I was a kid:
"I'm a Blue Light Special" t-shirt, made into a pillow:
Buster:
Audrey:
Holly Hobby (missing an arm):
Scary doll:
I also had a FULL box of old t-shirts that I foolishly thought I (or more accurately, I would have my Mom) make into a quilt someday. Now I'm like, 'and then do what with it? Where would I want this hideous quilt displayed?!' So all the t-shirts went bye-bye with the exception of this first one:


Second above is a handpainted (by my mom) beauty, of all of my favorite things - clarinet, music, art supplies, poetry journals. I think it was a birthday gift. Even back then, when I wore alot of strange things, I never wore this shirt! 3rd, an Aquinas school sweatshirt. Below, my Fort Madison Aquinas school friends made me a going away present by signing all their names to a t-shirt in bubble paint. I was bitter about the move to Iowa City for years, and had this shirt hanging on my wall for awhile in my IC bedroom. Next, a braces t-shirt, as if it's not already obvious that you have them, you need a shirt announcing it to everyone?! I don't remember being particularly proud of my braces, in fact they were the bain of my existance for 4 long years, although it is a good way to lose weight. Lastly, my coveted NKOTB shirt. Although these teen idols will always hold a special place in my heart, as witnessed by my rooting for Joey McIntyre when he was on Dancing with the Stars, (see everything DOES always come back to DWTS!) I no longer feel the need to hang onto this shirt. I have been set (somewhat) free!


Above, well... self-explanatory. I remember I was definitely flat...in more ways than one. I was not responsible for the production of this shirt, but I think I probably did wear it, unfortunately!Below, my high school graduation party dress, made my mom.
Next, a culottes outfit I wore to a homecoming dance. Both Damon and I wore ties that year! shudder. And last but not least: vests! One made by my mom, with jean pieces sewn on, the other made my me, with men's ties sewn on. Both have lots of extra pins and bits of jewelry added!


SNEAK PEAK: You all should be eagerly awaiting my next post: Dolls From Around the World!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

what a great idea to take pictures of the stuff then get rid of it!

you make me laugh :) the 'we both wore ties' shudder ha!

i am glad to know you continue getting ready for your baby, not too much longer now!

p.s. the Bill Ward photo shirt is cool ;)

dolls from around the world?!? i can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh. I had to get up and pee I was laughing so hard. The shirts were a crack-up. Man, you were a dork, I'm glad I never wore anything like that!!!!! Ha, Ha. I want more pictures!! We want to see what you looked like in that dress with the tie!!! Good trip down memory lane. I wish I would have taken some pictures of stuff when we went through everything. By the way,
"BAD SAX IS BETTER THAN NO SAX"
(What were we thinking...poor Stickney)

Shelly said...

Jared enlarged the "we B'flat' but we're the horniest'.
He can't believe you had that!!

emily said...

wow. I was taken back in time...hilarious! You should be glad that I'm not there...I think I'm the one that wants to hold on to EVERYTHING!

Anonymous said...

Wowwy, wow, wow! Those are some sweet tees! I can totally why you'd have a hard time parting with them. :) As a lover of all things 80's I can appreciate thier tackiness. That dress with the tie was the BOMB! I only wish I had one of those.