Monday, July 30, 2007

Dolls From Around the World

When we were little girls, my Dad's brother Dave and his wife Lynn travelled all over the world for my uncle's job, to all of these exotic locations. They sent us dolls from many of the places that they lived. They were the most treasured things I possessed. I viewed them with awe and reverance. They were not to play with and handle, they were to stay in their original boxes, (which is how I found them packed on Friday when we were doing our sorting.) Every once in awhile when we begged our mother, she'd help us get them out, and we would look at them, marvel at how different they were than anything we'd ever seen, and then pack them away. When I came across them on Friday, lots of memories came back, and although I don't know what I'm ever going to do with them, I could not get rid of them! So, just as I did as a girl, I got them out, marvelled and oohed and aahed over them, (laughed a bit, since I now saw them through grown-up eyes) and then lovingly packed them away again. I wanted to share the excitement I felt with my boys, so I called them downstairs to see, but I must have been interrupting something more important, because they were not in the least bit interested in my stories. Later that night, Will asked me, 'hey where is that doll that fits inside another doll, inside another doll, can I see it?' I huffed, 'it's all packed away again now!' But I promised we'd get them out again someday and look at them. That satisfied him. We'll get them out again in another 10 years, the next time we clean out under the stairs! (I wish I'd paid closer attention to the boxes and such, because now I can't remember which countries they're all from.)

New Zealand





Russian Nesting Doll



Indonesia















Thailand



3 comments:

Shelly said...

I had a few of those dolls too, mine came from my aunt jannes & uncle steve. I remember the one from hawaii, she wore a little grass skirt. I think I donated her to GW... about 18 years ago.

Kathy said...

These dolls are beautiful! When I was a girl we had an American Indian doll kinda like the one you have, i remember her leather dress and feathers, we could only hold her carefully, and she sat on a shelf in our living room.

These are so neat!

Meghan said...

Hey I had that last doll pictured. freaky!