Friday, July 20, 2007

Swimming Lessons Done

Will finished his swimming lessons this morning and passed Red Cross Level II. (For the 2nd time!) He took this same course last summer, and passed then too, but there's a big jump in skills for what you need to do to pass Level III, a lot of work in the deep end, and he and I both decided he wasn't ready for that. Lots of kids take Level II several times, for that very reason. He's gotten so much better over the last two weeks - he's like a little frog, or fish or something. It's fun to watch. It's just hard to maintain those skills, when we don't get to the pool often on our own. The thought of putting on a bathing suit right now is very unpleasant, and just too much work! Damon wants to take them more, so I'll let those boys go do that by themselves in the upcoming evenings/weekends. There's only so much time in a day, and just so much to do around here, it seems. I'm feeling like we need to get this house in order, pronto, before this baby comes, yet everywhere I go there's a mess, and I physically can't deal with it. (I thought I was supposed to get this burst of energy where my nesting instincts would kick in. Mentally I'm there, but physically? Not so much.) It's a lot of pressure for my hubby, and bless his heart he never complains. Even when he comes home to find Sam running around naked from the waist down, like he did last night, toys everwhere, and no one is ready to go to T-Ball.


Anyway, while Will was at his swimming lessons, I took Sam into the gym the last few days, where Tot Time was going on. (I don't like that name - I don't consider Sam to be a "tot," but it's designed for kids up to age 6 - I think.) He had so much fun. I felt a little guilty for not taking him sooner, but I really wanted to watch Will at his lesson, and Sam was content to hang out in the lobby with me, reading books from the carts that the library had provided as a summer outreach thing. That was a neat idea, so glad that they did that this summer, it kept Sam occupied. He was none the wiser that so much fun was going on right down the hall! I decided to save Tot Time for the last few days of lessons, because I knew that once he discovered it, there would be no going back. Boy was I right. He was so excited to go! The first day we walked in and he said, "Mom, I don't know what's going on in here!" I said "It's for kids to play." and off he went! He called it 'his class.' And why not?! On Fridays they get out the inflatables - an added bonus! The big hit though were the red pedal cars.
As you can tell, it was a little tricky getting out of this one. There was a lot of uncontrollable rolling going on, until he got the hang of it, which resulted in a banged elbow, and a bruised forehead first. The slide was not as filled with air as one would think, and you'd sink and your body would hit the hard floor underneath.

Everywhere he goes he makes a friend. He's so friendly! As you can see by the video, he spent the whole time following a girl named Reece around. Although the inflatables were not that far apart from each other, it was essential to hop in the car to get from one to the other. (He takes after his mom: 'Why walk, when you can ride?!')


1 comments:

kristin said...

Hey ya Jill...I'm feeling you on the "so much to do around here and not the energy boost to do it" bit! (so's my husband..his list is lengthy!) I'm hoping the boost kicks in this weekend, because my folks will be here Monday...and lots needs to be done between now and then! Your boys are adorable! Some day we should get the boys together to play. Poor Brooks (6) is dying of boredom this summer!