Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Our Little Glow-Worm

Well, the docs say that they don't like Max's bilirubin level, so I guess that we're staying another day. I'm a little discouraged, because I was all ready to head home today. This pushes his circumcision back til tomorrow morning, and if everything goes ok under the bililights, we'll go home sometime tomorrow afternoon, would be my guess. They took him to the lights around 8:30 this morning (luckily I had just nursed) and came back a few minutes later to ask me if it was ok if they gave him a pacifier. It didn't dawn on me right away what that meant until I gave her the one we'd brought and she asked if it was ok if they try the one they have in the nursury if this one doesn't work. Then I realized he's all upset and they're trying to get him calmed down! Well that put an end to my breakfast, and I walked down to find him looking a sorry sight! Of course I lost it for a minute - not because he's in any pain - because he's not, but just 'cause he looked so naked and vulnerable in only a diaper and his eyes covered with the little goggles. They had rigged up a way to keep his puggy in his mouth by wedging a bulb syringe in between the wall of his bassinet and his puggy - clever nurses! By the time I got to him, he was all calmed down but every time he moved a bit, he spit it out and got mad. His doctor looked him over and he got all worked up again, but once again they got him calmed down. I was in tears on the way out the door - I'm just so tired! The nurses were so nice and reassuring that they wouldn't just let him lay there and cry, they'd do everything they could and would bring him to me as often as he wants to eat. Once back in the room I called Damon and my mom, and the nursury nurse peeked her head in and announced that he was sound asleep. It was so nice of her to walk all the way down to my room just to tell me that. He's in good hands! The only time we got to hold him was when they brought him to me to nurse - no more than an hour at a time, every few hours. I spent the day going back and forth to the nursury, several times checking on him just as he needed me. I spent alot of time getting him calmed down to go to the nursury only to watch them get him all undressed and riled up, and have to calm him down again. Thankfully they are experts with their little tricks, although they tend to manhandle him a little more than I'm used to! They whip him around like he's a doll, but they know what they're doing. Here's what he looked like when he came to us: our little glow-worm. This portable blanket just covered his back.
He didn't seem to mind the stiff bililight blanket under his shirt, as long as he got what he wanted...In the nursury under the warmer and full lights, eyes covered:Dad: multi-tasking. This was the only time that Damon got to hold him all day - for about 10 minutes. Wouldn't you know it that work took that exact moment to call?Will wrote this on my room dry-erase board. (Grandma Connie had to add the "and Sam" part):

3 comments:

emily said...

He's a very nice glow worm!

Meghan said...

Okay Jill- Forst of all Congrats. He is SO precious. I see Sam in him.
Second of all, I think you are staying in the same room we were in when we had Guillermo. this is gonna drive me nuts...are you at the very end/corner? I saw it in your video and it looks exactly the same! I have to know:)
Enjoy this time. Precious, precious, precious.

THE BROWN BOYS said...

don't all the rooms look the same?! We're not right in the corner, but near it!