Thursday, August 23, 2007

School Time

In the midst of all of the baby hub-bub, Will started 2nd grade on Monday. (As I was laboring on Sunday, one of my big concerns was that I hadn't gotten all of Will's school supplies organized and labelled yet!) I've felt so out of the loop, as Damon has been taking him to and from school and taking care of all of the communication, responibilities, and papers going along with that. I've tried to make a special point to get some time with Will to hear his stories, which is no easy feat, since information is never very forth coming from that child, and I've been so wrapped up in other obvious things! (How am I going to do all this by myself next week when Damon goes back to work?! Let's not think about that right now.) So far some of the highlights of 2nd grade are as follows: his good friend Jack is in his class this year (last year they were not), he sits between two girls, one who is new and is named Isabel is 'very caring' and 'has a crush' on him. When I asked how he knew that, he said that she smiles at him like this: (insert flirty smile) and she doesn't smile like that to anyone else, plus she was asking him lots of questions like why does he have to wear glasses. The best part of every day so far has been recess (typical!) and principal Mr. Bacon made an announcement during the morning announcements that Will had a new baby brother. He has 2 teachers who split the day, Mrs. Hynes and Mrs Spicknall, both who seem very nice and experienced. They get to have a sharing day where they bring something in and tell the class about it (no toys) once every two weeks, and 2nd graders never (Never? No, never.) have any homework, but 3rd graders do. We are working our way into having him walk himself to school (there are other neighbor kids everywhere walking too as you go up the hill) so that my job is a little easier some mornings. But I'm having a hard time 'letting go' and letting him do this. Sam gets to start pre-school twice a week after the holiday weekend. I'll actually have a 2 and a 1/2 hr chunk of time twice a week with just Max - probably errand time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will- I can't believe you got your own announcement over the loudspeaker. You're like famous now! You better just get used to girls having a crush on you, there will be a lot more where that came from. Just roll your eyes and try and deal with it!

Meghan said...

Jill- You're funny...I'm sure all the rooms do look the same.