Sunday, September 02, 2007

Be Careful What You Wish For...

Baby love...must be having good dreams...
Hangin' out with Dad...Remember when I wished that Max would just tell me when something was wrong or he was hungry? I knew that the sleep all day and all night thing was too good to be true. But I was still not quite prepared for the reality. So much so, in fact, that this seasoned mother of 3 actually took her newborn to the doctor to find out what was wrong with him (surely something major was hurting him to cause him to scream and to sleep so poorly) only to be given the following diagnosis: He's an H.M.B - a high maintenance baby. He's just a sensitive baby. He no longer sleeps around the clock, or is all that quiet anymore. He no longer likes to lay down to sleep. He thinks he wants to be held. He wants to eat every 1 1/2 hours, although lately that's gotten a bit better. He cries a lot. We're trying all kinds of creative sleeping arrangements, including the car seat, bouncy seat and swing because every time you lay him down flat he fusses until he just screams. I'm so tired. I'm doing things that I never thought I would do (and never had to do with the others): sleeping upright in the lounger chair, propped up with pillows, while holding him. It's great for my back, let me tell you. Did I mention, I'm just so tired?! Every night I tell myself, ok, I'm not going to hold him tonight - I'm not going to give up. Then I end up getting so tired, that I just say, forget it - I'm snuggling into the chair. I keep trying to remind myself that this stage only lasts for a little while, then it'll be over with for good. I keep telling myself, he's your last - just try to enjoy and savor the time. I just hate to think I'm already starting a really bad habit that's going to turn into a problem the older Max gets - I just don't know what else to do when it's the middle of the night and I'm so tired! I did draw the line at Damon laying Max on his (Damon's) chest to sleep while in our bed. Damon didn't get the difference, but to me there is a huge difference. No kids in my bed!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! Sorry about your HMB :) I know he's totally worth all the trouble, but it's really hard while your doing it....I'll be praying for you (all 5 of you!)

Kathy said...

We had 6 kids and I never felt seasoned. Each child is so different.

I will be praying for you, Jill. You are right, this is a season, and it won't last forever, but when you are tired . . .

Connie said...

It's all new to him, too! It won't take long and he will be running around with the other two!

I am sure there are angels in heaven whose only job is to entertain the babies with their crazy funny antics and Max is probably dreaming about that which he knows of. Sweetness!!!