Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Brown Family Stunt Show

Friday when I went up to the school at recess I ran in to Jack's mom, who is one of Will's good friends in his class. She said, "So, Jack tells me that Will is having a stunt show at your house at 4:00 on Saturday? And we're supposed to come?" Oh man. All week Will and his neighbor friend Alex have been practicing stunts on the swing set and on their scooters in preparation for a stunt show. They made signs for our mailbox that said, "Brown Family Stunt Show - 4 pm on Saturday" and put invitations in the neighbors' mailboxes and evidently invited school friends! I told him I didn't think it was a good idea to invite people to something that you're not even sure is going to happen. And he said, "Oh, it's going to happen." Hmmm. What I ended up telling Jack's mom, was I didn't really know if we would even be home on Saturday, and that if Jack were to come down, he might be awfully disappointed by what it actually was. She said that if we did end up having it, to call them around 3 and see if they were home, and they'd come down. We got home from mini-van shopping at 3:30 on Saturday, and Will, who all afternoon had been asking me what time it was, suddenly decided that he was going to cancel the show he'd been planning on all day due to a lack of equipment. (When I asked what he was missing, he refused to tell me on the grounds that I would think it was silly, so who knows what he thought he needed.) Once Alex got a whiff of the cancelation, he convinced Will that the show must go on. They mustered up a few last minute audience members: me, Max, Damon, Sam, Alex's Dad and sister, and Nicholas, another boy from down the street, and the show started at 4 :30. (I hope I don't get in trouble with Jack for not calling him.)

Wow. I didn't know that my son was quite that flexible. It cracks me up that Nicholas thinks he's avoiding being in the video, by crawling on the ground! Ha!

The old "Look Ma, No Hands!" trick:

Somehow, the boys have managed to create not just one, but two flat spots on the Big Wheel tire, yet still don't mind riding it! Do you get that the wheel is not turning for most of the way down the hill and that he's skidding?! No wonder it has some flat spots! I'm surprised you don't see smoke or flames coming out behind him. This takes me back to the good old Clearview Heights days. And the thumping sounds it makes as you ride it are classic. And Sam ... poor Sam. He doesn't stand a chance - his feet just can't keep up. You know from the get go that something bad is going to happen - and it does. Luckily he landed on his bottom and is none the worse the wear for it.

4 comments:

emily said...

I didn't even realize that was Sam at the end until he got closer to the camera...uh...he's big!!!

Anonymous said...

What an exciting ending! I almost couldn't watch!

Shelly said...

I think my favorite part is when the video abrubtly ends, leaving the watcher to wonder how Sam ended up...
What daredevils!!
Reminds me of Damon riding a skateboard down Russell Dr while sitting on it because my parents thought it was too dangerous for him to stand. They probably saved a trip to the hospital...

jenn said...

We were so bummed to miss the stunt show. When Will brought over the invitation we were curious about what stunts they could be pulling off. When we heard Damon mowing the lawn, I figured it must've been cancelled (Ty said, "oh, maybe the mower is in one of the stunts!"). But we fell asleep with baby and missed it. Next stunt show, we're there!